Professors Fan Zhijian(Vice Director/International Office), Miao Ruchang(Deputy Dean/College of Mechanical and Electronic Engineering), Wang Jiayan (Vice Dean/Graduate School) and Zhuwu Zhu (Assistant Dean/College of Mining and Safety Engineering) from Shandong University of Science and Technology, China visited the University of Moratuwa on 14th November 2018 and had very successful discussions which would lead to further collaboration between the two universities, especially in the fields of Earth Resources Engineering and Mechanical Engineering, among others. The visitors were given a tour and an insight to the activities of the two departments by Dr. H.M.R. Premasiri, Eng. P.V.A. Hemalal, Dr. G.V.I. Samaradivakara, Dr. S.P. Chaminda, Dr. (Mrs.) A.B.N. Dassanayake, Mr. A.V.P. Vijitha of the Earth Resources Engineering Division and Dr. Ranjith Amarasinghe of the Department of Mechanical Engineering (whose department has an ongoing collaboration with SDUST).
Among the matters discussed were:
• an Agreement between the Department of Earth Resources Engineering of the University of Moratuwa and College of Mining and Safety Engineering of Shandong University under the existingMOU; The proposed Agreement would entail
• Student Exchange Programmes, Establishment of a Research Center on mining and mineral technology in Sri Lanka at a national level
• Capacity Building - for young lecturers to enroll for post-graduate courses in China and staff development/training programme on mining, mineral engineering and safety engineering and exchange programmes
• Research Conference – to include UOM in the international conference Shandong University of Science & Technology has with a Russian University.
• Initial Visit for Joint Programme -CMSE delegates invited Head/ERE and few staff members to visit Shandong University and formulate the programme with specific activities in early January 2019.
Following the tour and meeting with the Earth Resources and Mechanical Engineering lecturers, the visitors met Prof. Nalin Wickramarachchi - Dean Engineering, Prof. Gihan Dias - Director, International Affairs (UoM) and Dr. Ranjith Premasiri - Head, Department of Earth Resources Engineering; and further discussed ways in which the two universities could collaborate, in the areas of Mechatronics and mining and safety.