Prof. Shuang-Hua Yang, Associate Dean, Southern University of Science and Technology (SUSTech), Shenzhen Guandong, China called on the Vice Chancellor, Director/International Relations and Dean-Engineering on Monday, 10th December 2018 and had a very interesting discussion which is expected to lead to mutually beneficial collaborations for both SUSTech and UOM.
SUSTech, which is a reasonably young University, has gained notable rankings, including top 8th in China and top ranking among the new Universities in Asia. It boasts of a faculty who are 100% PhD degree holders, 90% having overseas working experience and 60% having graduated and worked in the top universities of the world. SUSTech is now searching to recruit international PhD students, who already have completed a Masters Degree, and has reached to UoM which has a similar student population in terms of size and quality.
The main items which were discussed was the collaboration between the universities in :-
• Joint PhD Programmes
• Joint Research Programmes
• Faculty and Student exchange programmes
• Opportunity for UoM undergraduates and MSc. students to enroll in SUSTech summer school
• Provision of funds from Chinese universities for the development of Faculty of Business
• Opportunities for academic staff who are on sabbatical leave
• Visits by distinguished faculty members of SUSTech to UoM