Dept. of Chemical & Process Engineering
Faculty of Engineering
University of Moratuwa
Plant Safety and Loss Prevention, Reactor Engineering & related parts in Environmental Engineering.
Coordinator of Reactor Engineering Laboratory
Key Research Areas
Environmental risk based process routes selection
Chemical process industry accident hazard
B.Sc.Eng. in Chemical Engineering (University of Moratuwa)
M.Eng. (University of Moratuwa)
PhD (Loughborough University)
Corporate Member of the Institution of Engineers Sri Lanka (IESL)
Honours and Awards
Award of Excellence with Distinction in Recognition of the Outstanding Research Performances during the year 2016, University of Moratuwa.
Association of Commonwealth Universities (ACU) Titular Fellowships Award 2015: Wighton titular Fellowship in Engineering
- Gunasekera, M., Khan, F. and Ahmed, S., (2018), Learning Process Safety Principles through Practice, Process Safety Progress, DOI:10.1002/prs.11942.
- De Silva, K.G.V.K., Gunasekera, M. Y. and De Alwis, A.A.P., (2017), Derivation of a societal risk acceptance criterion for major accident hazard installations in Sri Lanka, Process Safety and Environmental Protection, 111, 388-398.
- Warnasooriya, S., Gunasekera, M.Y., 2017, Assessing inherent environmental, health and safety hazards in chemical process route selection. Process Safety and Environmental Protection, 105: 224-236, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.psep.2016.11.010.
- Anuradha, H.B.B., Gunasekera, M. Y. and Gunapala O., 2017, Assessing the Impact on Environment, Health and Safety due to Releases from Chemical Process Routes, Proceedings of Annual sessions of the Institute of Engineers Sri Lanka (IESL), Part B, 277-284.
- Bamunusingha, B.A.N.N., De Silva, E.C.L, and Gunasekera, M. Y., 2016, Performance of ion exchange resin as solid catalyst for the esterification of acetic acid with ethanol, Journal of National Science Foundation Sri Lanka, 44 (1): 83-93.
- Gunasekera, M. Y., 2016, Minimization of Water Use in the Paddy Parboiling Process, Proceedings of the Manufacturing and Industrial Engineering Symposium organized by Manufacturing Engineering Association, University of Peradeniya on 22 Oct 2016, Colombo, Sri Lanka.
- Kandanapitiya K. K. C. W. and Gunasekera, M. Y., 2015, Modelling of Reactive Distillation for Acetic Acid Esterification, Engineer, Journal of the Institution of Engineers Sri Lanka, Vol. XLVIII, No. 04, pp 17-23.
- De Silva, K. G. V. K., Gunasekera, M. Y., De Alwis A. A. P., 2015, Selection of endpoints for acute effects due to exposure to toxic chemicals in Sri Lanka, Proceedings of the Institution of Engineers Sri Lanka (IESL), Annual Sessions 2015, Vol. 1 Part B, Technical Papers, pp 183-191.
- De Silva E.C.L, Bamunusingha B.A.N.N. and Gunasekera M. Y., 2014, Heterogeneous Kinetic Study for Esterification of Acetic Acid with Ethanol, Engineer, Journal of the Institution of Engineers Sri Lanka, Vol. XLVII, No. 01, pp 9-15.
- Nadeeshani E., Gunasekera, M. Y., 2014, Life Cycle Inventory Analysis for Parboiled Rice Production in Sri Lanka, Proceedings of the Institution of Engineers Sri Lanka (IESL), Annual Sessions 2014, Vol. 1 Part B, Technical Papers, pp 147-153.
- Gunasekera, M. Y., 2011, Fugitive Emissions from Mixing Equipment, Journal of Society for Social Management Systems, Paper Code SMS11-2001, http://management.kochi-tech.ac.jp/?content=journalpaper.
- Karunaratne, H. W. G. I. and Gunasekera M. Y, 2009, Removal of pollutants in soak wastewater resulting from parboiling of paddy, ENGINEER, The Institution of Engineers Sri Lanka (IESL), Vol.XXXXII, No.04, pp 112-121.
- Gunasekera, M. Y., and De Alwis A. A. P., 2008, Process industry accidents in Sri Lanka: Analysis and basic lessons learnt, Process Safety and Environment Protection, Transactions of the Institution of Chemical Engineers, 86(B): 421-426.
- Amarasinghe, B.M.W.P.K., Jayasinghe P.A. and Gunasekera, M.Y., 2007, Adsorption of Cibacron Blue Dye from Aqueous Solutions onto HCl Treated Waste Biomass, ENGINEER, The Institution of Engineers Sri Lanka, Vol.XXXX, No.03, pp. 07-15.
- Gunasekera M. Y. and Edwards, D. W., 2006, Assessing the inherent atmospheric environmental friendliness of chemical process routes: An unsteady state distribution approach for a catastrophic release, Computers and Chemical Engineering, 30: 744-757.
- Gunasekera M. Y. and Edwards, D. W., 2006, Chemical process route selection based upon the potential toxic impact on the aquatic, terrestrial and atmospheric environments, Journal of Loss Prevention in the Process Industries, 19: 60-69.
- Gunasekera M. Y. and Edwards, D. W., 2005, Potential impact on vegetation in the terrestrial environment due to catastrophic releases from a chemical process plant, Proceedings of the 7th World Congress of Chemical Engineering, Glasgow, July 10th-14th, 2005.
- Gunasekera M.Y. and Edwards D.W., 2003, Estimating the environmental impact of catastrophic chemical releases to the atmosphere: an index method for ranking alternative chemical process routes, Process Safety and Environmental Protection, Transactions of the Institution of Chemical Engineers, 81(B): 463-474.
- Gunasekera M.Y. and Edwards D.W, 2001, Towards estimating the environmental impacts of airborne releases from chemical plant, Proceedings of the 6th World Congress of Chemical Engineering, Melbourne, Australia.