Preliminary information on applying for a postgraduate Research Degree Programs at the University of Moratuwa
Thank you for your interest in considering a postgraduate research degree program at the University of Moratuwa. We offer the following programs:
- Master of Science (with a major component of research), a one-year, full time (or two-year part time) program - MSc.
- Master of Philosophy, a two-year, full-time (or three-year, part-time) program - MPhil.
- Doctor of Philosophy, a three-year, full-time (or five-year part-time) program - PhD.
You may choose to carry out your research within any of the twelve (12) Departments of the Faculty of Engineering, four (4) Departments of the Faculty of Architecture, three (3) Departments of the Faculty of Information Technology, or three (3) Departments of the Faculty of Business.
Before you apply online
Before you submit an application for admission to a research degree program at the University of Moratuwa you are required to contact a potential supervisor from among the senior academic staff of any of the above Departments in line with your research interests. The staff member will:
- evaluate your eligibility to register for the degree of your choice, and
- work with you to develop a research proposal
- recommend course modules appropriate for your program
This proposal will form part of your online application.
If you have chosen a potential supervisor, have the proposal ready, and have identified the course modules for your program, you may go on to complete the online application.
The following supporting documents will be required
- A scanned, passport-sized, colour photograph (3.5 X 4.5 CM, 300 dpi)
- Scanned academic transcript(s)
- Scanned certificates of any professional qualifications that you have indicated in your application
- Letter of leave from your employer (if applicable)
- Any other documents in support of your application
You may save and exit the application process at any time. If you do so, you will be assigned an Application Reference Number, which you can use to recommence your application at a later time.
Further detailed guidelines on filling the application are available on the form itsef.
After submitting your completed application, you will be given further instructions on printing your application and submitting it to your supervisor along with certified copies of supporting documents.
Applications may be submitted at any time.