Being the pioneer of the Faculty of Information Technology, the Department of Information Technology takes pride in offering both undergraduate and postgraduates Degree Programmes. These programmes are geared towards bringing people, information and technology together to create and disseminate knowledge for making a positive change aligned with national priorities.
The vision of the Department of Information Technology is to build a strong culture of research and teaching excellence that responds dynamically to the challenges of Information Technology in 21st century.
The mission of the Department is to
- Provide quality education in both theoretical and applied Information Technology and train students to practice the knowledge and skills to solve emerging technological problems of the 21st century
- Conduct research to improve the state-of-the-art in of Information Technology and apply the findings to uplift the quality of life
- Provide expert services in Information Technology to state organizations, industry, and the society as a premier academic department
- Contribute to sustainable, scientific, technological, social, and economic development in Sri Lanka
The students of the Honours Degree of Bachelor of Science in Information Technology programme have excelled in major IT competitions securing championship for several consecutive years. The graduates have been able to secure a high rate of employability confirming recognition within the industry at national and international levels. In 2010, the Department extended the flow of knowledge to the degrees offered by the other departments, furthering its engagements.
Our academic staff and students are presently engaged in research in a range of areas including multimedia technologies, geographic information systems, data communication and networks, database systems, software engineering, mobile technologies, and human computer interaction. Moreover, the department is currently conducting several researches funded by the National Research Council (NRC).
Undergraduate Degree Programmes:
- The Honours Degree of Bachelor of Science in Information Technology is a four-year full-time undergraduate degree programme offered by the Department. The curriculum is anchored on the principles and fundamentals of Information Technology, making the students competitive both in academic studies and practice. The Department annually enrols 200 undergraduates for this Degree Programme.
- The Department contributes in the Information Technology component of the Honours Degree of Bachelor of Science in Information Technology and Management. The intake for this Degree Programme is 100 students per year.
- The Department also contributes for the Information Technology component of the Bachelor of Information Technology (BIT) External Degree Programme.
Postgraduate Degree Programmes:
- The Master of Science/Postgraduate Diploma in Information Technology aims to impart necessary knowledge to persons qualified in diverse study areas to obtain recognized postgraduate qualifications in Information Technology. The annual intake for the M.Sc. in IT Postgraduate Degree Programme is 50 students.
- The Master of Philosophy (MPhil) and Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) Research Degrees are carried out as full-time or part-time in a variety of Computing and Information Technology aspects in a disciplinary and an interdisciplinary approach.