Key Action: Cooperation for innovation and the exchange of good practices
Action type: Capacity Building in higher education
Coordinator: Vilnius Gediminas Technical University, Vilnius, Lithuania
BECK UoM Coordinator
Prof. Rangika Halwatura
Technical and Administration
Mrs Anuradha Peramunugamage
Dr Rizna Arooz
Wasudha Probodani Abeyrathna
- Tallinna Tehnikaulikool (Ee)
- University Of Colombo (Lk)
- The University Of Huddersfield (Uk)
- Federal State Institution Of Higher Education Moscow State University Of Civil Engineering (National Research University) (Ru)
- University Of Ruhuna (Lk)
- Kaliningrad State Technical University (Ru)
- University Of Moratuwa (Lk)
- Patuakhali Science and Technology University (Bd)
- International Noncommercial Association Of Support And Development Of Higher Educational Institutions In Engineering Obedinenie Stroitelnikh Vuzov (Ru)
- M.V. Lomonosov Moscow State University (Ru)
- University Of Barisal (Bd)
- Peter The Great Saint Petersburg Polytechnic University (Ru)
Aims and objectives
Climate change is a result of modern human lifestyles and activities: heating in buildings, power consumption, cars and aircraft, industrial companies and other activities in the built environment contribute greatly to climate change. Climate change leads to extreme weather events, such as storms, flooding, droughts and heat waves. In the last decade, the world suffered thrice as many weather-related natural disasters as in the 1960s. One of the possible solutions to these problems is improvement of education in environmental protection technology based on consumer behaviour related to energy efficiency and climate change (hereafter BECK education). The main challenge is to consolidate a variety of diverse activities in education quality improvement, such as the delivery of extensive educational programmes and capacity building, the continued knowledge sharing, etc. In order to progress on these efforts, it is necessary to build the capacity and an associated network of experts and institutions.
The education sector is vitally important for social and economic development of Russia (Region 4), Sri Lanka and Bangladesh (Region 6). Both regions distinguish education in Engineering and engineering trends as a key priority (Category A). This priority covers Environmental protection technology, including solutions relevant to energy efficiency and climate change.
Wider objective of the project – to upgrade the curricula with 16 new harmonized multidisciplinary adaptive MOOC modules on environmental protection technology in the Russian, Sri Lanka and Bangladesh universities in order to increase their capacity to continually modernise, enhance the quality and relevance of education of students to the global market needs and to ensure international cooperation.
Main objectives of BECK project:
- To upgrade curricula of BSc/specialists, MSc and PhD programmes in Russian, Sri Lanka and Bangladesh universities by adding 16 new multidisciplinary adaptive, recognised and certificated MOOC modules on consumer behaviour related to energy efficiency and climate change, to enhance the quality and relevance of education in PC and EU universities to global issues;
- To transfer European practices in education (learning and teaching tools, methodologies and pedagogical approaches including learning outcomes and ICT-based practices) from participating EU universities to PC universities;
- To assist competence development of teachers within PC universities;
- To develop the Simulated Big Data Interuniversity Networked Affective Educational Centre to encourage use of ICT-based methodologies in education and research;
- To strengthen educational and scientific networking among EU and PC universities in the BECK field.
The project in general terms also will spread and promote the awareness in the Partner Countries related to the EU policies referred to Energy Efficiency and Climate Change approach towards EU best practices, with specific reference to the “Environmental & Energy 20-20-20 targets”.
Link for the project website:http://iti3.vgtu.lt/beck-erasmus