The eligibility requirements for postgraduate studies are stipulated in the By-laws for the respective postgraduate degree. A summary of the minimum requirements as given in the By-laws is given below. However, the academic departments may, with the approval of the Faculty of Engineering and the Senate, decide on higher eligibility requirements, subject to the minimum requirements specified below.
Doctor of Philosophy Program :
- A Master's degree in a relevant field as judged by the Faculty and approved by the Senate
- B.Sc. Eng. or its equivalent, of merit not less than Second Class Upper Division, in a relevant field as judged by the Faculty and approved by the Senate.
- Normally the candidate is initially registered for an Unclassified Postgraduate Research Degree, and the transfer of registration to the Ph.D. degree is made by the senate on the recommendation of the Faculty after a minimum period of one year of satisfactory progress.
- Students registered in a MPhil. Degree program by research, may be considered for transfer of registration to the Ph.D. Degree program by the Senate on the recommendation of the Faculty after a minimum period of one year of satisfactory progress, provided the candidate has satisfied the eligibility requirements mentioned above or after a minimum period of eighteen months of satisfactory progress provided that he/she has obtained registration for a Master's Degree programme by research (M.Phil.) and has published or has proof of acceptance for publication in referred journals, at least two research papers.
- A lecturer of the University of the grade of Senior Lecturer Grade II and above may apply to the Senate for special permission for registration for the degree of Doctor of Philosophy.