A team of delegates from the IIT Gandhi Nagar in Gujarat, India visited the University of Moratuwa on 21st of March 2019.
The team consisted of Prof Naran M Pindoriya, Associate Professor, Electrical Engineering, IIT Gandhi Nagar, Dr. Shivashankar Sukumar, Postdoc Fellow, Electrical Engineering, IIT Gandhi Nagar and Mr. Rishabh Abhinav, Research scholar, Electrical Engineering, IIT Gandhi Nagar.
This collaboration was initiated by Prof. A. Atputharajah, Dean - Engineering, University of Jaffna who also visited the University with the delegates from IIT Gandhi Nagar.
The team met Prof. K.K.C.K Perera, Vice Chancellor, Prof. P.K.S. Mahanama, Deputy Vice Chancellor, Professor J. Rohan Lucas, Emeritus Professor of Department of Electrical Engineering, academic staff members of Department of Electrical Engineering including Prof. H.Y.R. Perera, Senior Professor, Dr. (Ms.) S.K. Abeygunawardane, Senior Lecturer, Dr.(Ms.) R.M.T. Damayanthi, Senior Lecturer, Dr. R. Wirasiriwardena, Senior Lecturer and Ms. Y.S. Karunarathne, Assistant Registrar External Affairs, Publicity and International Student Promotion Division of University of Moratuwa.
After the initial meeting with the Vice Chancellor, the team of delegates visited the Department of Electrical Engineering. Prof Naran M Pindoriya addressed Semester 5 undergraduates and presented the training opportunities available at IIT, Gandhi Nagar. Prof. A. Atputharajah also addressed the students and explained the ongoing training collaborations between University of Jaffna and IIT, Gandhi Nagar.
During the lunch, Prof. N. Wickramaraachchi, Dean, Faculty of Engineering and Prof. Gihan Dias, Director, International Relations also had a discussion with the delegates.
In the afternoon, Prof. Naran M. Pindoriya gave a talk on "Renewable Energy in India: Grid Integration and Management" at the Department of Electrical Engineering. This talk was organized by IEEE PES student branch of the University of Moratuwa and IEEE PES Sri Lanka Chapter.
The visit paved the path for the following possible future collaborations between the two universities.
- Signing of a Memorandum of Understanding
- Joint International Conference with the Technical Universities and Faculties of Sri Lanka and Indian Institutes of Technology (IITs)
- Joint MSc. Program catered to students from SAARC countries (Fulltime MSc. Program in Entergy Conservation)
- Undergraduate and Postgraduate Student Exchange Programs
- Research Collaborations (Especially in the field of Entergy Conservation and Alternative Entergy solutions in partnership with government institutes of both countries)
- Hosting University of Moratuwa Students at IIT- Gandhi Nagar