Welcome to the Department of Electrical Engineering, University of Moratuwa. The Department of Electrical Engineering is one of the key departments in the Faculty, and presently conducts a taught M.Sc./P.G. Diploma program and a graduate research program in addition to its main activity of conducting the B.Sc. Eng. program for an annual intake of about 100 students. Approximately 125 students follow the three MSc/ P.G. Diploma Programmes namely Electrical Engineering, Electrical Installations, and Industrial Automation. The Department also offers research degrees leading to Master of Science, Master of Philosophy and Doctor of Philosophy.
The department of Electrical Engineering conduct study program leading to Honours Degree of the Bachelor of the Science of Engineering specialised in Electrical Engineering.
The Study Program produces graduates for the local industry in the electricity and energy sectors, electrical construction industry and the manufacturing industry. A few graduates also pursue academic and research careers.
The objectives of the electrical engineering study program are
- to produce Electrical Engineering graduates for more effective and efficient utilisation of energy through better management in the new century.
- to improve the relevance of the study program in solving practical problems faced by modern industry.
- to possess the knowledge needed to be in the forefront of current advances in areas of technology related to electrical engineering, such as green energy technologies.
- to enhance the creativity and innovativeness of the graduates.
- to improve the professionalism of the graduates and to elevate the quality of life of the society.
The Department conducts taught M.Sc./P.G. Diploma program and a graduate research program in addition to its undergraduate program.
- Full-Time Postgraduate Program (by Research): full-time research programs leading to MSc, MPhil and PhD degrees in the field of electrical Engineering.
- Part-Time Postgraduate Program (by Coursework)leading to, Msc/Postgraduate Diploma in Electrical Engineering, Electrical Installations and in Industrial Automation. Further the Department offers a Postgraduate Certificate in Industrial Automation.
Societies and Student Life