Lecturer In-charge : Dr. H.R.Pasindu
Technical Officer : Mrs. G.N. Wijekoon
Highway Engineering Laboratory is equipped with the testing facilities to carry out testing on pavement materials such as aggregate, soil and pavement roughness and friction.
- Vehicle Bump Indicator
- Z-250 Reference Profiler
- Sand Equivalent Test Apparatus
- Aggregate Impact Value (AIV) Test Equipment
- British Pendulum Tester
- CBR (California Bearing Ratio) Test Apparatus
- DCP (Dynamic Cone Penetrometer) Apparatus
Software: HDM 4 Pavement Management Software |
Contribution to the Academic Program
Practical classes offered under curriculum
Semester 7 CE 4042: CBR (California Bearing Ratio) Test, DCP (Dynamic Cone Penetrometer) Test
Semester 8 CE4352 Highway Construction and Maintenance Management: Flakiness index, AIV Test
Testing facilities commonly used for research
- Vehicle Bump Indicator- used to measure pavement roughness
- Z-250 Reference Profiler-Roughness Calibrating Machine, used to calibrate the bump integrator and pavement profile of small sections
- British Pendulum Tester -for friction measurements
- CBR (California Bearing Ratio) Test for soil strength testing
Health and Safety Regulations
- Do not operate any of the equipment unless you have been trained and authorized to do so. Do not conduct any unauthorized experiments. Personnel must have pre-approval by his/her direct supervisor in order to perform work alone.
- Inform the lab supervisor if there are any problems, or in case you are not sure if the equipment is operating properly and safely. Before using any power tool, inspect it to make sure the cord is not damaged in any way and that the ground pin is intact.
- Keep hands or loose clothing away from machines and powered tools at all times during operation.
- Keep machine surfaces clear of material and tools
- Closed toed shoes must be worn at all times in active laboratory areas. Long hair and loose clothing shall be confined. Appropriate clothing must be worn at all times.
- Proper Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) must be worn as instructed by the supervisor/officer in charge
- Users of the Lab must be familiar with the hazards of the materials with which they are working.