The Structural Engineer with a knowledge and understanding of material behavior and structural actions is able to design with economy and elegance, structures that fulfill their intended purpose, while safety resisting the forces to which they may be subjected.
However, with rapid advances in materials technology and availability of advanced computational techniques the successful structural engineer must continuously update his/her knowledge and keep abreast with recent development in structural engineering.
The Department of Civil Engineering at the University of Moratuwa aims to fulfill the need for Continuing Professional Development by conducting a Postgraduate Course in Structural Engineering Design on a part time basis for practicing engineers.
The Course is conducted by the Division of Building and Structural Engineering of the Department. This division comprises experts in many aspects of modern structural engineering design. They have established a close relationship with industry through consultancy and contract research in such areas as concrete technology, timber technology, Building materials, masonry structures and also structural design and investigations. Research in design methodology, tall buildings, and finite element analysis are also being carried out.
The following subjects are taught in three terms with written examinations at the end of each term.
- Computer Analysis of Structures
- Reinforced Concrete Structures
- Pre-Stressed concrete Structures
- Timber Structures
- Steel Structures
- Water Retaining Structures
- Masonry Structures
- Advanced Structural Analysis
- Design Methodology
All lectures are conducted on Fridays and Saturdays.
Master of Engineering (M. Eng.) Degree:
- Duration: 24 months (Part Time)
The candidates selected for the M.Eng. Degree programme must obtain a pass grade in each of the subjects in order to qualify for the M. Eng. Degree. In addition, a suitable research/design project needs to be carried out with dissertation submitted on completion of the project.
- Duration: 12-15 months
Candidates selected for the P.G Dip must obtain a pass grade in each of the subjects to obtain PG Diploma. However, the registration of such candidates will not be upgrade to that of M.Eng. degree at a later stage.
- The Degree of Bachelor of Science of Engineering of the University of Moratuwa, Specializing in Civil Engineering;
- Any other engineering degree, specializing in the field of Civil Engineering as judged by the faculty and equivalent to (a) above as judged by the Faculty and approved by the Senate of the University of Moratuwa,;
- At least the Associate Membership of a recognized professional engineering institution in the field of civil Engineering as judged by the Faculty and approval by the Senate of the University of Moratuwa, and a minimum of two years experience after obtaining such membership.
The annual intake is limited to 35 students.
For information on course fees, please contact course coordinator.
Applications and Enquires:
Application Forms can be obtained from :
Department of Civil Engineering,
University of Moratuwa.