Dept. of Chemical & Process Engineering
Faculty of Engineering
University of Moratuwa
Major subjects on current teaching
- Fluid Mechanics
- Energy Conservation and Efficiency
List of subjects on teaching over the past 20 years
Transport Phenomena, Thermodynamics, Energy Conservation & Efficiency, Fuels & Lubricants, Process Engineering Fundamentals, Energy systems and Mechanical Science
Supervision of projects include; Final year Chemical Engineering Design Project, Engineering Design Project and Industrial Research Project
Rheology to the MSc in Polymer Technology
Transport phenomena, Combustion Technology and Advanced Thermodynamics to the MSc in Sustainable Process Development
Current Research Projects
K. Raveendran “The importance of fluidization parameters for production of quality black tea at higher efficiency”
A.R.L. Mendis "Evaluation of moisture diffusivity in copra at different drying conditions"
Ms. B.D.G.P. Nandadeva "Application of CFD to Improve Performance of a Cinnamon Chips Dryer"
Completed Research Projects
M.A.B. Prashantha “Synthesis and characterization of novel alkyd resins based on Karawila seed oil” (2007)
J.A.K.M. Fernando “Drying kinetics of coir pith and the performance in flash drying” (2016)
S. Maduwage “Ultrasonic Devulcanization of Sulfur-Vulcanized Natural Rubber” (2002)
MSc (Full time)
J. R. U. C. Jayakody. "Study the factors influencing the production of ethanol from waste coconut water” (2012)
K. A. Chandra.“Study the effectiveness of preprocessing of cinnamon chips” (2012)
M. A. M. Jinasena“The Optimum Operating Conditions For Extraction Of Chlorophyll From Alternanthera sessilis [Linn.], Cultivated In Sri Lanka” (2010)
A.J. Wijayawardhana “Abatement of odour from tobacco process emissions by condensation, scrubbing and biofiltration” (2008)
MSc (taught course research dissetation)
G. Ranjan Jayakumar “Study on Factors Affecting Sustainability of Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) System in Apparel Industry in Sri Lanka: Case of Three Leading Apparel Manufacturing Companies” (2015)
R.D. Weerasooriya “Study the factors affecting on the quality of skim coat” (2015)
D.R. Mallawarachchi “Study the effect of chitosan as an emulsifier and as an additive over cationic bitumen emulsion” (2015)
N. D. I. Kumarage “Effect of drying temperature on the composition of hydro distilled cinnamon bark oil” (2013)
A. M. D. Shyamalee “Comparison of suitability of different binding materials in briquette forming” (2013)
D.N.J.C. J. Gunaratna “Analysis on Future Trends of Plastic Recycling in Sri Lanka” (2012)
H.K. Udana“Study the factors affecting the production of good quality copra” (2011)
S. H. U. I. de Silva “Synthesis and characterization of alkyd resins using blend of soya bean oil and karawila seed oil” (2010)
D. K. B. Vitharana “Synthesis and characterization of Stoving alkyd resin based on oil blends of Karawila seed oil and Coconut oil” (2009) –
M. D. Y. Milani “Synthesis of Alkyd resin based on blend of Nahar seed oil and Karawila seed oil” (2009)
A.S. Premakanthi “Modelling of Crude Oil Import Schedule in Order to Minimize Refinery Losses” (2009)
J. A. D. U. D. Jayalath “Statistical process control for rubber flooring” (2006)
S. C. D. Perera “Quality analysis for uPVC pipes” (2003)
S. Maduwage “Characterization and evaluation of starch xanthide encased powdered natural rubber” (1999)
1. Fernando J.A.K.M. and Amarasinghe A.D.U.S. “Effect of retting and drying on quality of coir pith and coco discs”, Submitted to Journal of the National Science Foundation of Sri Lanka and was accepted on July 22 2016.
To be published in March 2017
2. Prashantha M.A.B., Premachandra J.K. and Amarasinghe A.D.U.S. “Synthesis of fast drying long oil alkyd resins using seed oil of karawila (Momordica Charantia)”, Indian Journal of Chemical Technology, Vol. 24, January 2017, pp. 47-54.
3. Udana H.K. and Amarasinghe A.D.U.S. “Evaluation of single bed and multi bed drying of copra and the quality of coconut oil”, J.Natn.Sci.Foundation Sri Lanka 2016 44 (4): 359 - 365
4. Fernando J.A.K.M. and Amarasinghe A.D.U.S. “Drying kinetics and mathematical modeling of hot air drying of coconut coir pith”, SpringerPlus (2016) 5: 807.
5. Jinasena, M.A.M., Amarasinghe A.D.U.S., Amarasinghe, B.M.W.P.K. and Prashantha M.A.B. “Extraction and degradation of chlorophyll a and b from Alternanthera sessilis” Journal of the National Science Foundation of Sri Lanka. 44(1), pp.11–21.
6. Fernando T.L.D., Prashantha M.A.B. and Amarasinghe A.D.U.S. “Study on small molecular organic compounds pyrolysed from rubber seed oil and its sodium soap”, SpringerPlus (2016) 5:321.
7. Mallawarachchi D.R., Amarasinghe A.D.U.S. and Prashantha M.A.B. “Suitability of Chitosan as an emulsifier for cationic bitumen emulsions and its behaviour as an additive to bitumen emulsion”, Construction and Building Materials 102, (2016) 1-6.
8. SHUI De Silva, ADUS Amarasinghe, BAJK Premachandra and MAB Prashantha “Effect of karawila (Momordica charantia) seed oil on synthesizing the alkyd resins based on soya bean (Glycine max) oil”, Progress in Organic Coatings 74 (2012) 228– 232
9. Prashantha M.A.B., Premachandra J.K. and Amarasinghe A.D.U.S (2009) “Composition, Physical properties and Drying Characteristics of Seed Oil of Momordica charantia Cultivated in Sri lanka”, JAOCS.86 (1), 27-32
10. Prashantha M.A.B., Premachandra J.K. and Amarasinghe A.D.U.S (2008) “Mathematical Model For Predicting Gel Point In The Process Of Manufacturing Alkyd Resins”, Ind. Eng. Chem. Res..47 (22) 8555-8560
11. Amarasinghe, A.D.U.S. and Wilson, D.I. (1999), ‘On-Line Monitoring of Ceramic Paste Extrusion’, J. Am. Ceram. Soc., 82 (9) 2305-12
12. Amarasinghe A.D.U.S. and Wilson D.I. (1998), ‘Interpretation of Paste Extrusion Data’, Trans IchemE, Vol 76, Part A, January
1. Mendis A.R.L., Amarasinghe A.D.U.S. and Narayana M. (2016) “Numerical Simulation of the moisture diffusion in copra drying process” Proceedings of the 2nd Moratuwa Engineering Research Conference (MERCon), pp. [192 - 197], 2016. DOI: 10.1109/MERCon.2016.7480138
2. Jinasena, M.A.M., Amarasinghe, B.M.W.P.K., Amarasinghe A.D.U.S. and Prashantha M.A.B. (2013) “Study on pre processing and storage conditions for extraction of chlorophyll from Alternantherasessilis (l.) and kinetics of degradation of chlorophyll” Annual Transactions of IESL (The Institution of Engineers, Sri Lanka.), pp. [342-347], 2013.
3. Jinasena, M.A.M., Amarasinghe A.D.U.S., Amarasinghe, B.M.W.P.K., Dissanayake D.M.M.B. and Prashantha M.A.B. (2013) “Study on extraction of chlorophyll from AlternantheraSessilis (Linn.): Operating conditions and mass transfer” Annual Transactions of IESL, pp. [335-341], 2013.
4. Fernando J.A.K.M., Amarasinghe A.D.U.S. and Jayasundera J.M.M.A. (2013) “Influence of pre-processing and coir extraction methods on the physicochemical properties and microbial contamination of coir pith” Annual Transactions of IESL, pp. [361-366], 2013.
5. Mallawarachchi D.R., Amarasinghe A.D.U.S. and Prashantha M.A.B. (2013) “Suitability of chitosan as an emulsifier for cationic bitumen emulsions” Annual Transactions of IESL, pp. [367-371], 2013.
6. Raveendran K., Amarasinghe A.D.U.S. and Botheju W.S. (2013) “Drying characteristics of orthodox broken type tea” Annual Transactions of IESL, pp. [432-437], 2013.
7. Raveendran K., Amarasinghe A.D.U.S. and Botheju W.S. (2013) “Effect of loading density on quality of dried teas in fluidized bed drying” Annual Transactions of IESL, pp. [438-443], 2013.
8. Udana H.P.K. and Amarasinghe A.D.U.S. (2013) “An experimental study on multi bed drying of copra” Annual Transactions of IESL, pp. [444-449], 2013.
9. N.D.I. Kumarage and A.D.U.S. Amarasinghe (2013) “Effect of drying temperature on the volatile components of cinnamon bark” Annual Transactions of IESL, pp. [450-456], 2013.
10. Amarasinghe A.D.U.S., Tharanga M.A., Alwis T.T., Anuradha H.B.B. and Dasanayaka D.R.D.H. (2012) “Study the factors influencing coir pith drying” Annual Transactions of IESL, pp. [9-13], 2012.
11. Udana H. P. K. and Amarasinghe A.D.U.S. (2012) “Design of a solar hybrid dryer for copra drying” Annual Transactions of IESL, pp. [38-45], 2012.
12. Nandadeva B.D.G.P., Amarasinghe A.D.U.S. and Rathnasiri P.G. (2012) “Simulation of air movement in a cinnamon chips dryer using computational fluid dynamics” Annual Transactions of IESL, pp. [127-132], 2012.
13. Chandra N.K.A., A.D.U.S. Amarasinghe and Walpolage S. (2011), “Performance analysis of a dryer design for drying cinnamon chips”, Annual Transactions of IESL, pp. [362-368], 2011.
14. Jayakody J.R.U.C., Amarasinghe A.D.U.S. and Gunawardena S.H.P. (2011), “Effect of evaporation on sugar content of coconut water in desiccated coconut industry”, Annual Transactions of IESL, pp. [406-411], 2011.
15. Seimon J.W.M.R.M., Ismail F.M., Amarasinghe A.D.U.S. (2011), “Effectiveness of steam sterilization for the desiccated coconut industry of Sri Lanka”, Annual Transactions of IESL, pp. [392-397], 2011.
16. De Silva S.H.U.I., Amarasinghe A.D.U.S., Premachandra B.A.J.K. and Prashantha M.A.B. (2011), “The influence of Momordica Charantia seed oil on the physical properties of the alkyd resins synthesised using Glycine max oil as the fatty oil”, Annual Transactions of IESL, pp. [350-355], 2011.
17. Wickramasinghe P.M.Y.G., Walpalage S., Amarasinghe A.D.U.S. (2011), “Designing a small scale industrial type vacuum distillation column that based on laboratory and pilot plant studies”, Annual Transactions of IESL, pp. [379-386], 2011.
18. Wijayawardhana A J., Wijekoon S.L.J., Walpolage S., Amarasinghe A.D.U.S. (2011), “Performance of peat/wood chips media as a biofilter packing material for the treatment of an industrial waste gas”, Annual Transactions of IESL, pp. [356-361], 2011.
19. Wijayawardhana A J., Wijekoon S.L.J., Walpolage S., Amarasinghe A.D.U.S. (2011), “Design and performance of an industrial scale biofilter for odorous gas treatment”, Annual Transactions of IESL, pp. [412-420], 2011.
20. Maduwage S., Amarasinghe A.D.U.S. and Munindradasa D.A.I. (2004), “Ultrasonic treatment to sulphur vulcanized natural rubber – A method to control degree of vulcanization or devulcanization”, Annual Transactions of IESL, pp. [1-8], 2004.
21. Amarasinghe A.D.U.S., Subramaniam K. and Maduwage S. (2000), “Preparation and properties of starch xanthide encased powdered natural rubber” Proceeding of the 6thAnnual symposium pp. [51-62], 2000. Engineering Research Unit, University of Moratuwa, Sri Lanka.
22. Amarasinghe, A.D.U.S. and Wilson, D.I. (1997). “Statistical analysis of pressure fluctuations in paste extrusion.” IChemE 1997 Jubilee Research Event, Nottingham, UK, April 8-9, vol. 1, pp. 529-532.